Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Makers, Climbers, and Luminaries.





As I mentioned PREVIOUSLY issue 4 of INVENTORY MAGAZINE is out, available now, and should have started showing up at various retailers around the world.

My copy arrived a couple of days ago, and I was really excited to get my hands on it after all my own, and everyone else's, hard work.

Every issue seems to be a step up from the last, but I can honestly say that this feels like the strongest of the four. Absolutely no filler: great design, beautiful photography and an amazing list of contributors. The main event is a feature on WOOLRICH WOOLEN MILLS, and it's an amazing insight into the brand and both DAIKI and MARK.

A special mention also goes to my good friend NICHOLAS HAGGARD, who absolutely blew me away with his photos of the people and landscapes of New Mexico, shot on a trip there with the boys from YUKETEN.

For this issue I was fortunate enough to be given the chance to interview two of my very favourite people: BILL CALLAHAN (3), a life long idol, and JASON GREGORY (1), a good and talented friend.

Alongside the feature on Makr Carry Goods and the interview with Bill (mostly regarding his book LETTERS TO EMMA BOWLCUT) there are a couple of reviews, and a very small piece of fiction at the back. For this I was lucky enough to be able to persuade another good friend MARCELO GOMES to let me use a photo of his to run alongside the text. In fact that image (2) became the inspiration for the fiction piece in the first place, after several weeks of false starts and bad ideas, so it's a double thanks I owe to him.

I can't say thank you enough to DAVE POTES (who did such an amazing job shooting the Makr feature), JASON GREGORY, BILL CALLAHAN and DRAG CITY, CHRIS TAYLOR (who graciously let us use his stunning portraits of Bill), MARCELO GOMES and of course SIMON, RYAN, and OWEN.

There's one more thing to come from the magazine, that will show up at some point relatively soon.

Also I think a few outtakes and other bits and pieces will find their way up here too, but until then: PLEASE TRY TO PICK UP A COPY.

14 comments:

Marcel said...

BRAVO ! BRAVO ! BRAVO !
Still need to pick up my copy.

Anonymous said...

The issue looks great, but really, why Charlie Sheen for the cover?

Tim said...

page 16 grammar mistake.. an...and? I understand how there can be errors but it is right in the beginning of the first article. Great spread though for this issue.

P.M said...

Well it's a pretty big magazine, with a lot of words and pictures, and only three or four human beings able to go through everything, so occasionally, a "d" get's missed off of an "and".

I figure the whole of everything else more than makes up for that.

I'm sorry if that missing "d" somehow ruined your enjoyment of the magazine.

Incidentally, it's on page 3 of the first article. Not that it matters where the article comes, as it's not written, or edited and proof-read for that matter, in order. I'm pretty sure everyone tries really hard to avoid little mistakes, and make each issue as good as it can be...

Tim said...

In no way did that ruin the magazine for me...at all. Stop gettin' your panties in a bunch. Lets not forget they only put out two issues in one year. I just think a mistake like that shouldn't be missed for magazine based heavily on use of rhetoric.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
P.M said...

Tim: my panties are not in a twist. I'm just defending a corner worth defending. Do you have any idea how much work goes into putting out "only" two magazines a year? Have you done it recently?

Three people run Inventory in it's entirety. And they work insanely hard. As do the handful of people who contribute because they believe in the magazine.

Most major and minor publications have much larger teams, and some entire copy and fact checking staff, and despite this typos are the least of the mistakes that can be found on a regular basis at pretty much any magazine currently in circulation.

People are human and miss things. It happens. And to complain about it in any way is petty. I'm sorry but that's the case. What about the thousands or correctly spelt words or photographs? A "d" missing from an "and"? If anyone has their panties in a bunch I would suggest that it's the person that finds that such a sin as to be something worth commenting upon.

Do you have work published in magazines? If you do, have you ever found and error in it after the fact? Have you published a magazine yourself? If you have, have you caught every tiny error before going to print?

It's not worth worrying about. Really. Because the magazines been out a week and everyone is already hard at work on the next issue. That's the problem with only putting out two magazines a year, you have so much time to twiddle your thumbs and live it up between issues.

P.M said...

Someone just called to my attention the typo in my 2nd comment.

Oh the irony.

Maybe it's "the missing d from page 16??"

Tim said...

P.M
baahahaha. you missed the whole point of my comment. Well I cannot start a magazine because I am an elementary school teacher, so I don't have much money and journalism wasn't my calling. I have written many many papers and if I have a grammatical error it has points taken off. Is it so wrong for me to want perfection from a perfect magazine? It is also a rather expensive mag...for me.. After your long exhausted rebuttal.. you still think your panties aren't in a twist??
I'm not saying they don't work hard and I'm not saying they're going to hell for the error. I respect them ALOT and have been following their blog forever. REEEELAX!!
:)
p.s. I would not be mad if you made a grammatical error in your comment because I didn't pay for use of your blog. Not to say your blog isn't dope...because it is.

∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆ said...

holy hell, did i just buy a $38 magazine. shoot, was not paying attention to the shipping cost.

∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆ said...

correction: $40. shoot!

P.M said...

Dude!!!! Oh no. You should have given me a heads up. The shipping is RIDICULOUS from Canada, and there are places in SF that will be carrying it I think. Or I could have just picked one up from NYC and shipped it on the cheap to you.

Dang.

I won't lie: I'm super happy that you were willing to support all that hard work.

Grammatical errors and typos included.

But now I feel bad...

Which cover did you buy? I'll pick you up the other cover, on me, so you can have both, like the nerdy collectors we are.

Dope.

∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆ said...

they were real kind and canceled the order. they told me that there's a place in the mission that carries it. i'm hounding my house mate to put it in his shop. for how spot on all the content is, i'm surprised that there is 1 place in town that carries it? ah s.f.. slowly but surely.

muchtoomuch said...

i am anxiously awaiting my shipment!!! please stop by ed. varie to pick up a copy, we will have some back issues too i hope!! p.m. i can't wait thanks for helping make the connection:)